Saturday, July 11, 2009


I can't stand my big EMO post being the only thing on here today, so here's a quick "wannabe runner" update.


Here's my route, basically... (sorta):

I overslept thanks to the Benadryl I took last night, so I decided to forgo the monkey's soccer games in lieu of my long run. I'm up to five miles. Five miles. In April, I couldn't run a half mile. Dude. Celebrate with me, will ya? Did you hear that? It was the sound of me high-fiving myself. It was hard, but it was just what I needed to clear my head.

E left and then five minutes later he discovered that my iPhone armband and headphones were in the car with him, so it was my first run in a long time without tunes or Majel telling me every five minutes how far I've run and my current speed. I set a timer at home, and I was pleased to discover that I don't need the music to keep the same pace. I brought a water bottle because I haven't run this route before, and I was pretty sure there were no water fountains. I started off with it stuck in the back of my sports bra (oh yes) but once I got sweaty (read: 42 seconds in to my run) that plan wasn't happenin'. I really need my fancy-schmancy fanny hip hydration pack that April ordered for me for my birthday. It's getting too warm not to bring water, and my bras are not up to the task. I ended up carrying the bottle, singing James Brown's "I Feel Good" and Beyonce's "Halo" to myself along to the time of the slosh.

I did 5 miles in 58.1 minutes. That's about 11.6 minutes per mile. I'm still really slow, but I'm consistent. I'm happy not to be in the 12s anymore. I was really proud of myself. Like I said, it was hard. My body was ready to be done at 3.5, and at 4.5 I just wanted to sit down and take a break. I didn't, and I'm happy about it. It wasn't too bad without the music. I think I'm way too music-driven to run in silence all the time, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I had a really good salad for lunch, went to a really lovely bridal shower at which I DID NOT undo all of my careful eating for the week, jetted home for a quick snack (Oikos yogurt, granola and raspberries) and I am currently waiting for E to finish up with some job applications so we can drive to Sacramento for our second party of the day.

I'm doing better than last night when I wrote the previous post. Not great, but much better. E and I have talked a lot since my writing it, and the run helped get a lot of the Crazies out too. (Just so you all know, whenever I write something that personal that involves him, I always have him read it first to make sure there's nothing in it that he doesn't want me to post.... in case you wondered what he thought about all of this.) He's leaving again tonight. :(

I totally have Jello legs right now. I think I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow, but it was good to push to my limit. I'm going to have to figure out something fun I can do with the monkeys for cross-training tomorrow. Maybe some more "let's kill Mommy with this bike trailer." That's a pretty good one.

That's all I have for ya. We better jet. We're late already.


  1. Congrats!!!! SO awesome! I think I would have died at Stockton Blvd! I am running your route in my mind- seems like that would take all day to run!!! Great job! :) xoxo

  2. I know you hate it when people write in all caps but, MAN ALIVE WOMAN!!!! THAT'S A LONG ASS RUN!!! WAY TO GO!!! YOU ROCK AND RUN!!!!!
    b ;-)